If your child is unable to be immunized for a medical reason or immunization is unnecessary because your child has evidence of immunity, have your doctor or nurse practitioner complete a Medical Exemption form and submit it to the Health Unit.
If you choose not to vaccinate your child, be aware:
Your child may expose people with weaker immune systems to diseases that can make them very sick (e.g. newborns, cancer patients, older adults).
Your child is at risk of becoming very sick.
- If there's an outbreak at your child's school, the Medical Officer of Health may order your child not to attend school until the outbreak ends.
Children Attending Daycare
To exempt your child from immunizations for conscientious or religious reasons, you must fill out an exemption form, have the form signed by a commissioner for taking affidavits in Ontario and return original to the Health Unit. A copy of the exemption must also be provided to the daycare facility.
Children Attending Elementary or High School
To exempt your child for conscientious or religious reasons, starting September 1, 2017, you must:
1. Complete an education session at the Health Unit. Book an appointment by calling 519-753-4937 ext. 451. This session covers:
- Basic information about immunization
- Vaccine safety
- Immunization and community health
- Immunization law in Ontario
Once complete, you will be provided a Vaccine Education Certificate.
2. Complete Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief form and get it signed by a commissioner for taking affidavits in Ontario.
Persons authorized to sign affidavits for exemptions include:
- Clerk, deputy clerk, or treasurer of local municipality
- Administrative head (building standards, welfare, assessment or planning)
- Head of municipal council
- Member of city council
- Reeve or deputy reeve of town
- Provincial judge or justice of the peace
3. Present your original signed Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief form and Vaccine Education Certificate to the Health Unit. It is your responsibility to keep these documents for future reference.