Sign In


Pests include bats, bed bugs, cockroaches, rodents, and any other mammal or insect that you may think of as a public health concern.

Our roles

We have specific responsibilities regarding pests in our community:

- We investigate reports of pests in food premises (restaurants) and institutions (e.g., seniors/nursing homes, daycares, etc.)
- We may issue orders addressing pest issues to food premises and institutions (e.g., orders to apply pesticide treatments.)
- We test bats for disease if they are found in a home and may have had contact with people
Not responsible
​- We don't investigate reports of pests in private homes, rental units, or social housing.
- ​We don't issue orders 
addressing pest issues
to private home owners, residential landlords, or social housing authorities.

Bats in your home

If you find a bat in your home or find evidence that you or a family member has possibly been bitten by a bat in your home, please call the Health Unit immediately at 519-753-4937 ext. 470.

If you find a bat, avoid direct contact with it and do not pick it up with your hands.

To trap a bat in your home:

    1. Confine the bat to a single room.
    2. Put on a pair of leather gloves.
    3. Place a plastic bowl or coffee can over the bat when it rests.
    4. Slide a piece of cardboard under the container, trapping the bat inside.
    5. If anyone was in direct contact with this bat, call us immediately at 519-753-4937 ext. 470.
    6. If no person was in direct contact with this bat, release the bat outdoors.
    7. Bat-proof your home.

Pests in your home

Contact the resources below for help and more information about removing pests from your home.

Private homes: visit the Healthy Canadians website

Rental units:

Environmental Health
519-753-4937 ext. 470