Beneath the Surface Art Contest
The Contest has now closed.
All pieces submitted in the art contest will be displayed at our Beneath the Surface Art Exhibit on Thursday, March 31, 2016 at the Glenhyrst Art Gallery of Brant’s Cottage, 20 Ava Road, Brantford, ON N3T 5G9 from 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
2 prizes will be awarded at the art exhibit. The winning entries will be displayed at the Glenhyrst Art Gallery of Brant.
1st Prize: $200 will be awarded to the student whose art submission best meets our criteria. Winner will be announced at 7:00 p.m.
A panel of 3 judges, including local art experts, will be using the criteria found in our Judging Score Sheet to select the winner.
2nd Prize: $100 will be awarded to the People’s Choice. Winner will be announced at 7:30 p.m.
Anyone who attends the art exhibit can vote on their favourite art work. The People’s Choice will be awarded to the artwork who receives the most votes during the art exhibit. Bring your friends!
Click here to vist our Facebook Event page.
Plain and standardized packaging removes all branding, colour, and design from the package, making tobacco products less attractive and harder for the tobacco industry to recruit new customers.
- Artistically express what you see when you look beneath the surface of tobacco industry advertising. In the artist statement, explain how this relates to the theme, "Beneath the Surface," and the need for Plain and Standardized Packaging as a means to stop tobacco industry advertising.
- Print and Fill out the required registration forms and attach to your art submission.
- Read the contest rules.
- Review that your entry meets the contest rules check list:
- Completed registration for the contest and attached to art submission.
- An artistic statement (2-3 sentences) and title for your artwork, explaining how your art entry relates
to the theme, "Beneath the Surface," and the need for Plain and
Standardized Packaging as a means to stop tobacco industry advertising.
- Signed consent form for submitted art entry, and for anyone appearing in an art entry (i.e. photo).
- Art submission relates to the theme “Beneath the Surface”.
- Art submission does not include any content featuring suicide messaging and does not portray any individual in the act of smoking cigarettes and/or recreational drugs, or consuming alcohol.
- Art submissions must be 2-dimensional in any medium (painting, drawing, collage, photo, etc.) and be no larger than 36” by 36” portrait or landscape.
- Art submissions must be original and should not include any brand name items or company logos (including the Brant County Health Unit logo).
- If the piece includes images from popular culture (e.g. the image of a famous person, an album cover, or a company logo) entrants must prove that they have permission to include it, or the submission will be disqualified.
5. Create an amazing project and submit it by Monday, March 21, 2016 at 3:30 p.m. to one of the following two options:
Option 1: Electronic Submission
Snap a picture of the following:
- Artist Statement
- Registration Form
- Consent Form(s)
Email all photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Confirmation email will be sent, confirming we have recieved your submission.
Arrangements will be made to pick up artwork and registration forms prior to art exhibit.
Option 2: In-Person Submission
- The Brant County Health Unit, 194 Terrace Hill St., Brantford. 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, Main Floor Reception.
- Make sure all required forms are attached to artwork.
Attention High School Students! Enter our contest for a chance to WIN $200.
The Beneath the Surface art contest wants you to artistically express what you see when you look beneath tobacco industry advertising.
The tobacco industry relies on packaging to advertise their products.
Their packages are designed to be colourful and vibrant to make them appealing.
Beneath attractive tobacco packaging is a harmful and addictive product.
Our goal is to strengthen support of plain and standardized tobacco product packaging.
Deadline: Monday, March 21, 2016