Sign In


Important Note

If you received a letter about your child's immunizations, have contacted the Health Unit, and are waiting for a call back please be aware that we are currently receiving a high volume of calls.

To serve you better please leave one message with the following information:

  • Child's name (with spelling)
  • Child's date of birth
  • Your daytime phone number
  • Detailed question

We will return your call as soon as possible, but please be advised that this may take several days.  

You have until April 18 to report your child's missing immunization information outlined in the letter. In the meantime, your child is able to attend school. If the missing information is not provided, student suspension will begin on April 19, 2018.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Suspension Letters

On March 5, 2018 suspension letters were mailed to the homes of students born in 2001, and 2010 who, according to Health Unit records, need immunization against one or more of the diseases listed below:

Students who do not comply with the suspension order will be suspended beginning April 19, 2018.

Reporting Vaccinations

Students who received a suspension letter and need to update their records can report their vaccinations by:

  • Online
  • Phone: 519-753-4937 ext. 451
  • Fax: 519-753-2140
  • Mail/In person: 194 Terrace Hill St., Brantford, ON N3R 1G7
  • Drop box: Located outside east entrance door (Terrace Hill St. and McMurray St.) (drop off copy of yellow card/immunization record or printout of immunization record)

When reporting immunizations to the Brant County Health Unit, please include:

  • Correct spelling of child’s name
  • Date of birth
  • Daytime phone number
  • Date and name of vaccine given
  • Name and phone number of family doctor (if applicable)

Get Vaccinated

Students unable to visit their doctor who received a suspension order and need immunization can book an appointment at the Brant County Health Unit.

Suspension FAQs

Ontario's Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA) requires all students 4 to 17 years old to provide proof of immunization to their local health unit. Health units use this information to prevent the spread of many serious diseases. Students who fail to provide proof of immunization, or a valid exemption, may be suspended from school for up to 20 school days.

The Health Unit requires proof of immunization against the diseases listed below.  To meet these requirements vaccines must be given according to Ontario’s Publicly Funded Immunization Schedule. As your child gets older, new immunizations are required. For example, students require a tetanus booster (TdaP-IPV) between 4-6 years of age and another one 10 years later (Tdap).

According to Ontario's Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA), students must be fully immunized against the following diseases:

You can also visit our Vaccine Fact Sheets page to learn more about the required vaccines.

This means that according to Health Unit records, your child is missing a required vaccine that is part of Ontario’s Publicly Funded Immunization Schedule. The reason you are receiving this letter is likely for one of four reasons:

  1. Your child received this vaccine, but the Health Unit has not been given a record of it.
  2. Your child has not received the required vaccine.
  3. Your child has not received the vaccine at the right time. To get the best protection possible, the age that a vaccine is given is important as is the timing between vaccines. For example, all children must have two doses of the MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) vaccine given on or after their first birthday and with the two doses at least four weeks apart.
  4. A valid exemption has not been submitted to the Health Unit.

It is a parent’s responsibility to provide the Health Unit with their child’s immunization information. Doctors are not required to do this for you. Every time your child receives an immunization, make sure to let the Health Unit know (see Vaccine Reporting tab).

If your child has received the required vaccine and it was given at the right time, report this information to the Health Unit. If you don’t know when the vaccine was given, check your child’s immunization record (yellow card) or call your family doctor (see Vaccine Reporting tab).

All required immunizations are free. You can receive missing vaccines from:

  1. Your Doctor: Once vaccination is given, be sure to report it to the Health Unit (see Vaccine Reporting tab). Note: Students 12 years and older who require immunization against Meningococcal disease (Menactra®) must receive their vaccine at a Health Unit clinic or their high school clinic.
  2. The Health Unit: The Health Unit is holding extra clinics for those who received a suspension order and are not able to see their family doctor to get missing vaccines. To book an appointment call 519-753-4937 ext. 451.

If your child cannot receive the required vaccine because of a health condition or serious allergy, you must have your doctor complete a Medical Exemption Form and bring it to the Health Unit (see the Immunization Exemptions tab).

Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA)
Immunizations for School Attendance

If you have any more questions about immunization requirements and school suspension, please call 519-753-4937 ext. 451 and we will return your call as soon as possible.