If you choose not to have your child immunized due to conscience or religious belief, please be advised:
- Your child may expose people with weaker immune systems to vaccine preventable diseases that can make them very sick (e.g. newborns, cancer patients, older adults).
- Your child is at risk of becoming very sick with vaccine preventable diseases.
- If there is a disease outbreak at your child's school, the Medical Officer of Health may order your child not to attend school until the outbreak ends.
To register an exemption from vaccination for your child due to conscience or religious belief, you will be required to complete the following:
1. Complete an Immunization Education Session through the health unit which covers:
- Basic information about immunization
- Vaccine safety
- Immunization and community health
- Immunization law in Ontario
Once complete, you will be provided a Vaccine Education Certificate.
Call 519-753-4937 ext. 451 to book an appointment. These sessions are offered several times a year and can be completed virtually or in-person as needed.
2. Complete a Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief Affidavit and get it signed by a commissioner for taking affidavits in Ontario. The Vaccine Education Certificate must also be brought to the commissioner to demonstrate the completion of the required education session as outlined on the affidavit.
Persons authorized to sign affidavits for exemptions include:
clerk, deputy clerk, or treasurer of local municipality (please note, there is NO FEE associated with this service)
- administrative head (building standards, welfare, assessment or planning)
- head of municipal council
- member of city council
- reeve or deputy reeve of town
- provincial judge or justice of the peace
3. Present the original copy of the signed Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief form and Vaccine Education Certificate to the Health Unit – we will take a photocopy of these records and provide you back with the original documents. Note: It is your responsibility to keep these documents for future reference as needed.