Cannabis also known as marijuana, weed, pot, dope, and hash is typically green, brown and or grey in colour and comes from dried flower buds and leaves from the cannabis plant. The main chemical in cannabis is THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) which is the ingredient that makes users experience a 'high'. Cannabis can be smoked, vaped, or ingested through food or drink.
As of October 17, 2018, cannabis is now legal for recreational use for people aged 19 and over.
The Health Unit is responsible for enforcing cannabis use and distribution through the same framework utilized for Tobacco, under the Smoke Free Ontario Act. If you have a question or complaint about cannabis please call 519-753-4937 ext 455. All complaints are kept confidential.
Workplace Health and Safety
Don’t drive high. It’s illegal to drive drug-impaired and it’s just as dangerous as drunk driving. Cannabis can slow reaction times, coordination, and lower your ability to pay attention.
Talk to kids about cannabis. Kids are less likely to use cannabis if they have an adult they can talk with. Keep the conversation open.
If you think a child has ingested cannabis, or someone has accidentally used cannabis (have problems walking or sitting up, difficulty breathing and becoming sleepy) call the Ontario Poison Centre (1-800-268-9017) or bring them to an ER.
Local Help Lines
- Holmes House Crisis Line: 519-428-1911 or 1-888-999-4966
- St. Leonard's Mental Health: Crisis Line 519-759-7188
- Sexual Assault Centre 24-Hour Crisis Support line: 519-751-3471
Provincial Help Lines
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health: 1-800-463-6273
- Drug and Alcohol Registry of Treatment: 1-800-565-8603
- Main Line: 1-800-686-7544 (information and support for IV drug users)
- Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868
- Motherisk (drug and alcohol information for pregnant women): 416-813-6780
Referrals Counseling and Addiction Treatment
- 24-Hour Crisis Support Line (16 years+): 519-759-7188 or 1-866-811-7188
- Addiction and Mental Health Programs: 519-754-0253
- Mental Health Walk-in Clinic (call for hours): 519-754-0253